My famous Sausage and sage gravy recipe is here!
Since I was little, cooking was a thing in my house. My mom would cook for us almost every meal, my father was the cook on the weekends. They learned from his mom, my grandma Kay who owned a cafe in our home town. My vegan sausage sage gravy was inspired by her recipe, I hope you enjoy.
- 1 pack Beyond Sausage Patties (6 patties)
- 2 Tablespoons vegan Butter
- ⅓ Cup Flour
- 4 Cups unsweetened Oat Milk (Elmhurst works great)
- 1 teaspoon Sage Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Salt, More to taste
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper, More to taste
- The first step to making this gravy is to let your Beyond sausage patties thaw out, by leaving out an hour before you cook. You can use the Beyond classic, or spicy sausage.
- Once the sausage is thawed, preheat oven and bake biscuits according to package directions.
- Tear all 6 patties in little pieces and cook on medium heat till nice and browned, be careful to not over cook. Add two tablespoons of butter directly to the cooked sausage and allow it to melt.
- Next, sprinkle your flour over the sausage. You will stir the flour into the sausage for 1-2 minutes until that “raw flour” smell is gone. The flour and fat mixture is what will allow your gravy to thicken.
- Sprinkle in some black pepper and sage seasoning, giving it one more stir.
- Pour in the unsweetened oat milk slowly while whisking. Your gravy will continue to thicken and bubble as your pour in the milk.
- Once the milk has all been added to the skillet, you will add salt pepper and more sage sessoning. Allow the gravy to simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickened, then serve right away.
- This gravy can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days for best results.
Here are 8 canned vegan biscuits you can find in stores:
- Pillsbury Grands! Southern Homestyle Original Biscuits
- Pillsbury Grands! Southern Homestyle Buttermilk Biscuits
- Pillsbury Grands! Flaky Layers Sweet Hawaiian Biscuits
- Pillsbury Flaky Layers Buttermilk Biscuits
- Annie’s Organic Flaky Biscuits
- Immaculate Organic Flaky Biscuits
- Great Value Buttermilk Biscuits
- Hy-Vee Buttermilk Biscuits